At some point in our lives we have all wished we had the courage…to do something different.” – Cindy Solomon, author
My work with entrepreneurs, senior executives and employees in large and small companies has proven one thing.
It doesn’t matter what role you play in life; the underlying behavioral patterns have a great deal of similarity.
The only variances are the degree to which these behaviors are impacting your potential and accomplishments in life.
The antithesis of fear is courage. The courage to take the next step and take a risk.
- Will you risk that you are enough?
- Will you risk that you are smart, talented, capable.?
- Will you risk that no matter what you can trust yourself to do the right thing?
- Will you risk that you can make the right decisions?
- Will you risk speaking up for what you believe in?
- Will you risk that you may fail and not get what you want, but you will become more resilient and stronger as a result of trying?
- Will you risk looking stupid?
- Will you risk rejection, loss or abandonment by standing up for what you believe in?
- Will you risk being who you really want to be?
RISK is my acronym for Respect Your Intentions and Show Kourage.
“There’s only one requirement of any of us, and that is to be courageous. Because courage, as you might know, defines all other human behavior.” – David Lettermen
I believe that being fearless is not the absence of fear, but the courage to take the next step.
It provides the strength you need to ask someone to stop doing something because you don’t like the outcome. It’s when you step up, raise your voice, and be heard above the noise of competing voices.
Courage is when you feel the fear and push through the feeling to get to the other side of the discomfort and find the opportunities that await you.
We love stories of courage and dream that we are capable of similar actions, but rarely make the effort to see if it’s possible.
Most of us are not aware of what we are capable of until tested, and are willing to take up the challenge.
Consider the story of Melissa Arnot who reached the summit of Mt.Everest SIX times, once without oxygen, a feat that only 200 out of more than 7,000 could achieve.
Melissa was unsure if she succeeded because she was crazy, or it was her drive to accomplish the impossible. She admits it was probably a bit of both. One of her teammates said of her, “the mental fortitude that this kind of thing requires, very few people possess. It took enormous courage because she didn’t know if she could do it.”
Most of us are incapable of such a feat, but when confronted by our own challenges it can feel like we are climbing a mountain. I’ve hiked many mountains in my lifetime, but they were hills compared to Mt.Everest.
Climbing mountains whether they are mental or physical takes a great deal of effort, but the views from the top are spectacular knowing that very few people will make the journey.
When you refuse to step up with courage because you’re fearful of failing, being rejected or humiliated, or losing something of value, you are effectively denying your strengths and talents.
When you are willing to change and embrace the possibilities, you will surprise yourself.
It’s not rocket science. Just show up, be honest with yourself, ask difficult questions, and find the answers you’re looking for. If you can’t do it by yourself, find someone who can help you break down the barriers to your success. You deserve better. You can be better. You can start today!
“Fear is the story you tell yourself. Change the story and you change your life.” – Jacqueline Wales, The Fearless Factor @ Work
- Are you afraid that you won’t be able to fulfill other people’s expectations of you?
- Do you struggle with self-doubt and second guess yourself when it comes to making decisions? Are you tired of feeling intimidated by others?
- Would you like to feel more confident so you can take on bigger priorities?
- Are you ready to move beyond the self-limiting beliefs that are holding you back?
With our online immersive self-development program Transformational Strategies for Success supported by coaching, you will take ownership of your amazing skills and talents, be more confident in your choices, and claim more authority at work, so you can find greater confidence and comfort across all dimensions of your life.
If you’re ready to learn more set up a time to chat with me and see if it’s a good fit for you.